Thursday, April 26, 2012

Paleo Chili Sauce

This recipe is purposely paleo, but since I'll be using it a lot for different recipes, I wanted it to have its own separate slot.

It's nearly impossible to find chili sauce without preservatives, sugar, or high fructose corn syrup. So I looked around and found a few recipes that looked good, and made my own with the help of my friend, Lisa (who added the perfect amount of chili powder).  If you like to can, just double or triple the recipe. My intention is to make a huge batch so that I can have jarred chili sauce on hand for those last minute, "Oh crap what am I going to make for dinner?!" moments. Throw the chili sauce in the crock pot with grape Jellly and meatballs, bam, easy dinner that doesn't require much thought.




1 Red Pepper
1 Green Pepper
1 Onion
2 Cans Organic Tomato Paste
2 Tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbl of Honey (for those who expect it to be less sweet, 1 tbl of honey or none at all)
2 TBL Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tsp Nutmeg
1 Tsp Cinnamon
2 Cloves, crushed or ground
1 Tsp Ginger Powder
1 Tsp Sea Salt
1/8 Tsp Chili Powder (or more if you like it spicy)
*Pepper to Taste

Some people like to finely mince the vegetables, but I prefer to blend them in my vitamix. So put the peppers and onions in the blender until smooth and pasty. Pour the two cans of organic tomato paste in a pot on low, add blended veggies. Mix well, add seasonings, Mix well, and simmer for 2-3 hours.

If you like to can, just double or triple the recipe. My intention is to make a huge batch so that I can have chili sauce on hand for those last minute, "Oh crap what am I going to make for dinner?!" moments. Throw the chili sauce in the crock pot with grape Jellly and meatballs, bam, easy dinner that doesn't require much thought.

*Note: For people with allergies to the vegetables, omit peppers and onions. If you can, use onion powder or salt, try dicing up or blending celery, use extra seasonings to make up for the flavor, and if it works for the person, reconstitute dried onions.

2 comments:

  1. If they can't have onions usually leaks or green onions are an option too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I didn't know that, thanks!

    ReplyDelete